Lifestyle Session Prep Guide
- Keep baby awake as much as possible prior to their session time (1.5 - 2 hours)…. I recommend some time with their legs free (unswaddled) followed by a long bath. If baby still has not lost their umbilical cord and you must sponge bathe, do take care to wash his/her hair as clean newborn hair photographs best.
- Bump up the heat in your house… this will help keep baby nice and sleepy.
- Give baby an extra feeding before I’m due to arrive. Begin about half hour before my arrival and make sure she/he gets out all the burps!
OLDER BABIES (Over 3.5 weeks)
- Babies at this age are typically more awake/ alert and will probably choose to be awake for most of their session - therefore, I recommend doing the opposite as above and try to have them nap BEFORE their session
- You know your baby best - if you feel they're still super sleepy and could sleep through their session of you holding them and being moved around constantly then that's fine too!
What to Wear:
Please feel free to share your outfits with me beforehand... this is a huge element in helping me to create beautiful photos for you!
- I encourage everyone to wear lighter colors on top… white, cream, beige, light pink, light gray… etc… textures (like lace) are great. I also love warm earthy colors... tan, rust, green, etc. Try to avoid too much blue. If you have darker tones in your home then you can dress to match. Some moms also choose to wear one of my maternity gowns as they are comfy and can fit a variety of shapes.
- I will bring wraps for the baby, but if you have a simple white onesie or another outfit you’d like baby in, I’m happy to photograph that as well. I will just wrap them up if they are fussing or want to sleep. If planning to have baby in an outfit, please choose something that fits well... nothing too baggy or pouffy as it can drown out the baby. Something that shows their feet is preferred.
- Please be sure to remove any chipped nail polish and be mindful of the lipstick you wear... I will be taking pics of you kissing baby and would prefer real kisses to fake ones!
I work with an amazing online styling site which offers accessible photo-approved outfits from everyday sites in just a few clicks!
Simply go to the "style & select" page and enter this code to begin: 93PPS8N3
- When I arrive at your home I’ll ask for you to show me around. Please don’t feel you need to tidy up… I have two young kids and have seen it all! I’ll just ask to move things out of the way as we go along. Sessions are typically done in the main living area, master bedroom and nursery but I may not use these spaces if the natural lighting isn’t good. I very much prefer natural light and will go anywhere I can find it. Don’t be surprised if we end up in the dining room, kitchen or elsewhere!